One of the most widely used social media sites, Instagram, allows users to post Stories. However, the frustrating ‘This Story is Unavailable Instagram warning’ that appears when viewing stories can be frustrating.
Therefore, in the following article, I have shared the potential causes like technical failures, user privacy settings, or several other reasons for this problem and a few detailed troubleshooting ways for fixing it.
So, if you are curious to figure out the reasons and the ways to troubleshoot them, dive into the details below!
- The ‘Instagram this story is unavailable’ error means you can’t access the story.
- Issues like account deletion, story viewing restrictions, technical issues, and geographical restrictions are potential reasons behind the message.
- To troubleshoot the possible reasons, try refreshing the app, fix the technical issue, and simply accept the removal of access.
Whenever you encounter the message saying ‘This Story Is Unavailable’ on Instagram, that simply means you don’t have access to and cannot view that particular story.
However, there are multiple reasons behind this message popping on your screen while going through someone’s Instagram stories.
Sometimes, it occurs when the profile has removed your access from viewing the story. But don’t get upset just yet, as we will get to the bottom of this error and get you your answers in detail.
Several possibilities and reasons, like a few voluntary actions, technical issues, etc., can be behind the question – But why does it say this story is unavailable on Instagram?
Check out the eight most common reasons below:
1. Story has expired (24 hours past)
Instagram stories last for 24 hours only, so if you are trying to access a story from someone’s Direct message thread, the ‘This story is unavailable’ message will be shown on the story.
2. The story has been deleted
If the profile that posted the story has deleted the story for some reason, you won’t be able to access the story even if you click on it from the notification bar or a direct message thread.
3. Your account has been restricted
Now, this might be a disheartening moment for you, but there is a possibility that you cannot access the story you’re trying to view. That simply means your account has been restricted from seeing that person’s story.
4. Geographical restrictions
In some rare cases, geographical restrictions are the reason behind not being able to see someone’s story. To be precise, some content is restricted to the respective country or region, which can’t be shown in other regions. You can get help from a VPN tool to have geographically restricted content.
5. The account is not followed
If you don’t follow a specific account, you won’t be able to see their story if an account is private or have restricted accounts out of their followers list from viewing their Instagram stories.
6. Internet connection issue
Your Internet connection might be one of the issues coming your way while watching stories. So, if you see the message ‘this story is unavailable’ on someone’s instagram story or multiple stories, check your internet connection and try viewing the story after refreshing your connection.
7. Temporary Glitch
Technical glitches occasionally occur on apps like Instagram temporarily and mess up the app’s functioning. These glitches can also have an impact on a feature like Instagram stories.
8. Instagram server issue
Just like glitches, there are rare but temporary issues with the Instagram server that prevent you from accessing or loading the stories. Unfortunately, you can’t do anything in such cases. All you can do is wait for the app to fix the issue.
Troubleshooting or responding to the error in question is not complicated and doesn’t require you to follow any major procedure to solve it. Plus, In the section below, I have shared solutions for each reason that brings this message or prevents you from seeing a story.
- In case a story or the account that posted it is deleted or the account has blocked your account, you won’t be able to do anything regarding it as it is unavailable to everyone, including the profile owner.
- You can use a VPN to access the stories to tackle geographical restrictions.
- Send a follow request to the account whose story you wish to see. Also, you can only see the account’s stories if the other account accepts your request.
- In case of network issues, try refreshing your internet connection by turning the flight mode on and off or checking the wiring if it’s a router.
- If the error is due to any temporary glitch, wait for a few seconds and try it again.
- Top Instagram models
- Can’t find Instagram notes: what to do?
- how many instagram followers to make money
The ‘This story is unavailable instagram error’ is annoying when you’re about to see someone’s story. But now that you know the possible reasons and troubleshooting ways, you can tackle the problem.
Moreover, it’s not always Instagram’s error. Sometimes, an account raises this issue voluntarily to restrict people from seeing their story or by deleting their account.
In other cases, there is simply some technical issue that prevents from viewing instagram stories.
Usually, when you are not able to see, find, or access an Instagram story, it means the story is either deleted, expired, or you have been removed from accessing it. In other cases, technical issues like server issues, glitches, and internet connection can be one of the reasons.
If a user has violated the Instagram guidelines and regulations on the story feature, their story is most likely to get blocked by Instagram.
Technically, you cannot access a user’s most recent active status if they have restricted your account. Also, if the person has not restricted you and you still can’t see the active status, You must turn on your own via your Instagram account settings in order to read someone else’s ‘Activity Status.’
A restricted user might still be able to view posts and comments on your profile, but a blocked user will not be able to reach you in any way.
As a Social Media Specialist, Paulward brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our team. They have a passion for Social Media Specialist and are dedicated to helping our clients succeed.