Do You Know Which Way To Go Mobile?
Not that many of us needed any more convincing that mobile is something to be considered in most businesses today, Google’s CEO Eric Schmidt has stated recently at the IAB event in Palm Springs that it is growing faster than “all of our predictions.” In case you need more convincing, take a look at some of these stats on mobile:
- YouTube has 200 million mobile playbacks a day
- 78% of smart phones owners use their phones while they shop
- 200 million active users (40%) access Facebook on a mobile device
- More people communicate via text versus email
- More people own phones than credit cards
- There are 5.2 billion subscribers
Yes, that last one is 5.2 billion active phone subscriptions. Not to say that is 5.2 billion unique subscribers. A good number of people have more than one phone or another account for a laptop/PC. There are 3.7 billion unique mobile phone users though. That is over half the population of the planet.
(You can see a more detailed breakdown of these numbers at Communities Dominate Brands.)
So is your business getting ready to work on their mobile strategy? Have you figured out if you’re going to build an app? If so, are you building an app for iPhone or do you have the budget to build an app for Android and Blackberry devices too? Or maybe you’ll just spend your dollars on a mobile website.
In the next post we’ll go over some information that may help you make a decision on exactly which way to go on mobile.