SMOTW: Turrable, Simply Turrable
Golf is not the easiest sport to play in the world, but former NBA star Charles Barkley makes it seem much more difficult than it needs to be. He was featured in 2009 with golf instructor Hank Haney, on a Golf Channel Series, “The Haney Project: Charles Barkley.” Charles seemed to be making progress through the middle of the show but since then has continued to hack up the course. This week at the Regions’ Tradition at Shoal Creek in Birmingham, Alabama; Charles Barkley playing with legend Fuzzy Zoeller, made golf history by breaking his club with his first swing. (Skip the video ahead to 1:15 to see the swing.)
I can’t stop watching the video, I have been laughing all morning. The video was posted yesterday on YouTube and is already up to almost a quarter of a million views (216,171). Charles has become one of the most quotable athletes of all time with his tagline of “Turrable,” his butchered attempt at saying “Terrible.” Frank Caliendo even does a standup routine acting like Charles and says “Turrable” throughout the act.
Here are some great quotes from Sir Charles (sure to give you a great laugh):
- “I don’t care what people think. People are stupid.”
- “I’m not a role model… Just because I dunk a basketball doesn’t mean I should raise your kids.”
- “Kids are great. That’s one of the best things about our business, all the kids you get to meet. It’s a shame they have to grow up to be regular people and come to the games and call you names.”
- “My family got all over me because they said Bush is only for the rich people. Then I reminded them, ‘Hey, I’m rich’.”
- “Sometimes that light at the end of the tunnel is a train.”
- “Somebody hits me; I’m going to hit him back. Even if it does look like he hasn’t eaten in a couple weeks. I thought he was going to pull a spear on me.”
- “Stevie Wonder could make one of 23 shots.”
- “All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine.”
- “I think that the team that wins game five will win the series. Unless we lose game five.”
Social Media is great when you have characters like Charles Barkley to follow; he will always have something funny he has said or he has done (like breaking his club) shared with the viral world.
I hope everyone enjoys the weekend and wish all mothers out there a very Happy Mothers’ Day!