Bieber Rocks Social Media
No matter how you feel about Justin Bieber, there’s no question he and his team have been harnessing and benefiting from the power of social media in a big, superstar kind of way. Behold the power of the Biebs:
- He was named the winner of the NBA All Star Celebrity game MVP award despite missing a tying shot with 30 seconds left. Why the win? His Twitter nation voted in droves to get him the title. (Erik Qualman, Feb. 2011)
- The pop idol’s recent movie premier was supported by a full-on social media campaign that included a live stream of the premier. (Social Times, Feb. 2011)
- Bieber spurred media frenzy over the MTV series Beavis and Butthead when he tweeted that the show was being revived. (Forbes, Feb. 2011)
- 3% of Twitter’s servers are dedicated to Bieber, according to a Twitter insider (Mashable, Sept. 2010)
- Bieber tweeted to ask fans to call or text the phone number of a person he believed hacked one of his friends—the result was that the alleged hacker received tens of thousands of text messages and countless phone calls. (Mashable, Aug. 2010)
Leave it to Bieber. This baby-faced idol is helping to define what it means to be a social media superstar. But when it comes to brands leveraging social media, which ones do you think deserve superstar status?